Here’s a list of 50 easy self-care ideas that you can practice daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly.
It can be easy to forget making ourselves a priority… If you’re a person that is constantly putting others first, then ask yourself this: When was the last time you put yourself first? Last week? Last month? You might not even remember, but that’s okay because you’re not alone.
Many of us are so good at putting others first. We support our siblings, children, parents, cousins, friends, and even work colleagues before we take a look at what WE might need.
“Put your own oxygen mask on before helping others.” The oxygen mask metaphor is a cliche because it’s true. You alone are responsible for yourself and your life. Even though you have people in your life that love and care for you, you’re the only person living in your body, living your precious life.
Remember that self-care is not selfish. Taking care of yourself is an act of love. You love to take care of yourself to better love and take care of others around you.
- What is self-care?
- Daily self-care ideas
- Weekly self-care ideas
- Monthly self-care ideas
- Yearly self-care ideas
- Therapy is self-care
What is self-care?
Self-care is something you can practice daily. It can be simple activities like taking a walk, eating your favorite food. It can be more significant tasks like taking a vacation, setting and constantly reinforcing boundaries with others, and anything in between.
Sometimes, it takes one small change to make a massive difference in your life. So if you’re feeling stuck or burnt out, try the daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly self-care pyramid strategy.
This strategy ensures weeks or months don’t go by without putting yourself and your wellbeing first.
Daily self-care ideas
- Make sure to meditate for at least 5 minutes every day (tip: try guided meditation).
- Stretch your body when you wake up in the morning
- Make sure to move your body for 30 minutes every day. Walk, dance, run, do whatever works for you.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep. (tip: sleep 15 minutes earlier every night until you achieve the goal)
- Write a list of at least 3 things you’re grateful for every night.
- Talk to someone you care about.
- Take a nap when you need to.
- Moisturize your skin.
- Consistently enforce your boundaries during your social interactions.
- Make sure you eat something green in almost every meal of the day.
- Read 10 pages of any book.
- Drink 8 glasses of water.
- Make your bed every morning.
- Take your medication and vitamins.
- Plan your schedule for the next day.
- Ask for help when you need it.
Weekly self-care ideas
- Prepare your meal plan for the week.
- Schedule & attend a therapy session.
- Make time for your hobbies.
- Take a 30-minute relaxing bath.
- Sleep in on a weekend day.
- Watch a movie at the cinema, alone or with a friend.
- Cook yourself a special meal.
- Do a selfless act.
- Set your intention for the next week.
- Watch an inspiring Ted Talk or documentary.
- Exercise at least 3 times a week.
Monthly self-care ideas
- Reflect on the good things and not-so-good things that happened during the month.
- Evaluate your relationships & make sure you surround yourself with positive people.
- Budget your monthly finances.
- Get a massage or treatment.
- Get a haircut.
- Make sure to catch up with friends.
- Do a home deep clean.
- Learn something new.
- Try a new activity.
- Spend one whole day unplugged from social media and bad news.
- Have lunch or dinner with a friend.
Yearly self-care ideas
- Reflect on how your year went.
- List the things you’re grateful for.
- List the things you want to be better at.
- Set your goals for the following year.
- Go on a holiday.
- Clear the clutter in your home.
- Donate clothes and items you no longer use.
- Plan an adventure.
- Reflect on your life and work balance and plan to make it better.
- Take up a new language, instrument, or challenge.
- Buy yourself a special gift.
- Write a letter to your past and future self.
Therapy is self-care!
Seeing a therapist is a great way to take care of yourself. There’s no right time to start therapy other than now.
A platform like Ayadi, with a roster of qualified therapists and psychologists, understands why people seek therapy. Whether it’s because you’re struggling with a mental health issue, if you’re finding it tough to engage in self-care, or maybe you just need some support in your daily life. An Ayadi therapist can provide you with techniques to help yourself.
Download Ayadi today, and let us match you with a therapist that fits your needs. With a network of over 50 qualified bilingual therapists who understand our culture and traditions, you can access high-quality mental health care that is affordable and 100% confidential.